Sunday, April 6, 2008

Ready for a Japanese Honeymoon

My friend and client, Allison, is getting married in a few weeks, and about a year and a half ago I told her I would build her a chandelier for her reception. A sizeable sculpture of hand-painted Japanese parasols will theme her wedding around the couple's purple and blue palette, and their honeymoon in Japan.

We only got around to attaching 4 parasols together for the prototype, but I will ultimately try to do this with 6 for some more volume... and to make more of a circle than a square. Fun! This will hang in the middle of the tent in the Gibbes courtyard, glowing above the cake and a bit near eye-level.


My friend Sara is helping me with her artistic eye, and knack for attaching things, from hand made snow globes to... parasol chandeliers!

My logic for experimenting with such a fun project was the fact that tents cost so much to rent, throw a standard liner on top of that, and you're down at least a couple thousand bucks. For about $100 I think this will be much more visually pleasing and unique than a plain, white, "wedding-y" liner; or only paper lanterns, which I'll also use in moderation.

Photos: Christina Bailey et moi

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG! I feel like such a star!!! Thanks for putting my specialness on your blog! The sculpture is looking great, my guests will be talking about that for years to come! I especially love the little video with cheeky Sara Ferg! You are the bomb dot com! 12 days to go.....!

Rich said...

Someone can make a cheap wedding joke to the groom like, "Love those kimonos and the whole Japanese theme. But can someone please tell the groom where the sword is so he can fall on it. But seriously..."