Tuesday, June 12, 2007

It's a Festival Out There!

On the heels of Charleston's own Spoleto Festival USA, today's post involves things that a lot of people have come to enjoy: Music + Parties = Music Festivals! Summer is a prime time for the crowds, food, alcohol, herb of choice and the main ingredient, a wide array of music to be heard.

A fun-filled fest close to my heart is the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Fesitival which takes place the last weekend of April and the first weekend of May each year at the New Orleans fairgrounds. This year's jazz fest drew over 350,000 music and food lovers from all over the world. Who wouldn't come when crawfish sausage po-boys, shrimp bread, seafood gumbo and muffelattas are just a few items on the menu?! (Click here for a crash course in New Orleans cuisine, complete with mouth-watering photos!!!) Not to mention the lineup of artists that played like Van Morrison, Norah Jones, the Dirty Dozen Brass Band and countless Zydeco and Cajun music makers.

When I went a couple years ago, I couldn't help but tap my feet and do a little jig past the Fais-Do-Do Stage. New Orleans has an energy that can't be described... it's unlike any other place I've ever been. I'm glad I got to live there, if even for a little while, and let it be a part of me.


Bonnaroo is coming up this weekend, and though I can't make it this year, I'm going to try to do the Roo before it's no longer just a few hours drive from where I live. The festivities take over Manchester, Tennessee June 14-17, and artists this year include The Police, The Roots and up an coming Brit Lily Allen.



One of the activities at the festival that proves to be a must-see is Bonna Rouge, "rock & roll cabaret at its finest"! I'm sad I missed Cabaret Kiki's last show, I heard it was cab-tastic.


Here's a link to a blog that seems to cover any and all music festivals, great reads.

No comments: