Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Travel Series: Telluride Bluegrass Festival

My friend, and fab Folly resident, Maggie Hackett recently returned from the Telluride Bluegrass Fest in BEAUTIFUL Telluride, Colorado. In her own words:

"Let’s see… The festival started on Thursday 6/21 and ended Sunday 6/24. I flew into Telluride on Wednesday in my uncles’ little 6-seater plane. It was crazy!! Scary but so worth it We had a little keg party at my aunt’s house that night. My aunt gave us her downtown condo that she usually rents in the summer and it was the best part of the trip – not having to camp! haha



On Thursday we saw Emmylou Harris and the Counting Crows, who were unfortunately unimpressive. Friday we saw Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Saturday was a HUGE day. We saw Yonder Mountain String Band, Sam Bush Band, Alison Krauss with Union Station and Tony Rice and the New Orleans Social Club – EXHAUSTING! Sunday was relaxing. Alison Krauss and Union Station ended the festival – it was beautiful.

We would start the day with breakfast and setting up our section at the festival, then we would go on a hike or shop in town. We ate lunch in the town most of the time – it was pretty $$$! The afternoons we spent at the festival and the nights were totally for dancing. After the shows ended we would go to a bar to hear more music for “Nightgrass”. A bunch of people from the festival would play other shows throughout town. It was incredible!

The climate was AWESOME. Cool in the mornings, hot in the afternoon and cold at night. No humidity! We saw Tom and Katie’s jet at the T-Ride airport when I was leaving on Tuesday so I guess they were in town but alas, I did not see them.

All in all, it was an amazing trip…definitely one of my best ever! I am an addict now and will go back for many more festivals!"

The 2008 Telluride Bluegrass Festival is scheduled for June 19-22, 2008


FOLLOW YOUR FOLLY BITCHES!

No comments: